Like anything else you might imagine, the lifespans of your household appliances are finite. At a certain point in any appliance’s life, things start to go awry; the washer stops washing, the dryer doesn’t heat up, and the oven keeps burning your baked goods.
Appliance repair or appliance replacement?
When your appliances start to fall apart, you’ll have to face that critical question: Is it worth spending time and money on an appliance repair, or are you better off starting fresh with a replacement?
In most cases, appliance repair is recommended. The San Diego Appliance Repair Company team in San Diego County offers fast, affordable, and warrantied same-day service that can save you big, but this ultimately depends on the age and condition of your appliance.
The cost of repair is typically only 20-30% of what you can expect to spend on a replacement. Generally speaking, any repairs that will cost you more than half the price of a new appliance aren’t worth it. This is especially true if the appliance in question is over 6 years old.
But there’s more to it than that; if you’ve ever wondered how you’re going to know whether a repair or replacement is right for you, then read on to learn some assessment tips from our appliance repair team in San Diego County.
Identify Your Appliance’s Life Expectancy
The National Association of Home Builders has offered the following lifespan estimates for appliances:
- Dishwasher: 8 to 9 years
- Washing machine: 9 to 10 years
- Freezer: 10 to 11 years
- Refrigerator: 12 to 13 years
- Dryer: 12 to 13 years
- Kitchen range/oven: 14 to 15 years
- If your appliance is older than these estimates, consider it an antique, and forgo the appliance repair.
Ask Yourself 5 Appliance Repair Questions
- Is my appliance actually broken? Appliances are integral to our daily routines, so it’s not surprising that some people panic at the first sign of trouble. But before you dish out money on an appliance repair or replacement, take a second to make sure you’re not jumping the gun. Take a closer look to make sure it’s not an issue of a tripped circuit break, bad surge-protector outlet, or short in the plug.
- Does my appliance have warranty protection? If your appliance is protected by a warranty, you may be able to cut the cost of a repair or replacement altogether. The downside of this approach is that you may have to wait weeks for parts to be shipped, repairs to be made, and paperwork to be sorted. Still, it’s a worthwhile hassle if it leaves your bank balance untouched.
- Is this your appliance’s first offense? If your appliance hasn’t given you trouble until now, then don’t rush to replace it. However, if you’ve been struggling with chronic malfunctions for some time, an appliance repair might not be worth it.
- Are you in the market for new features? Technology is advancing at an exponential rate; if you’re working with a particularly old appliance, the idea of new features might appeal to you. An appliance repair can fix your problem, but it won’t update the model for you. If you’ve been eyeing new models anyways, it might be time for a replacement.
- Has your energy bill been bloated? If you’ve been paying more than you’d like on monthly utilities, a new appliance might help. That said, even relatively new models can hemorrhage energy if they’re malfunctioning.
Find Affordable Appliance Repair in San Diego County
Want to schedule an appliance repair with the San Diego Appliance Repair Company team? Contact our San Diego appliance repair experts by calling (619) 928-5000 today!